Sunday, January 18, 2009

Virginia Woolf and the Guerrilla Girls

Thank you Virginia. I am re-reading, A ROOM OF HER OWN, and am so happy doing it. I forgot just how insightful and clever it is -- and am a little pissed off that in truth, many of the observations she made, decades ago, are still true. These little speeches are great and if you haven't read them, I invite you.
I bought myself a small seasonal present, the Geurilla Girls HISTORY OF ART IN THE WESTERN WORLD. It's unfortunately small, very fun, and encourages acts of exasperated art.

To me, it seems clear that women still do not have basic equality when it comes to pay, representation, opportunity, and much more. In the arts in general?? Women still are not represented equally in the highest ranking, paid and "socially respected" galleries in most US cities. They are still represented in more abundance as nude or teasing models, though.
Women artists in all media --- ALL media --- do not have the overall funding opportunities.
And so on and so on. It continues.

I've already done my ranting and steaming feminst stage, and I've been a peacenik at heart forever anyway. But still, these things truly bother me. Why is it STILL like this??? It's so systemic.

Virginia says, "I have no need to hate men; they cannot hurt me. I have no need to flatter men; they have nothing to offer me." Well, me too. I don't hate men. I don't blame men for "women's plight." And yes, I am quite capable on my own. However, men and women alike could be reminded that we still don't get equal pay, or coverage, or respect.

I actually got myself a copy of the US census of 2007 (2008 isn't completed yet in all stats). It's all there --- the 70% or more jobs nad work situations listed and the lower pay for women --- almost across the board. Poverty listings? hugely feminine.

The issue came up briefly in the presidential race --- but was easily put away again and seen merely as a way for the candidates to compete. BUT IT'S STILL TRUE!!!


So than you Guerilla Girls (please keep doing your thing) and Virginia Woolf --- and my own past dreams, and hostory of being a "tom-boy." EEEK that term! but that issue is for a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment